Halloween is around the corner and as you are preparing for this exciting holiday it is important to remember that this day can be extremely stressful and potentially dangerous for your pets. Take a look at these Pet Safety Tips to help you and your family celebrate Halloween as safely as possible.
Candy can be extremely dangerous and toxic if your pet ingests it. Toxic foods to pets include macadamia nuts, raisins, and chocolate. Many Halloween candies contain the artificial sweetener xylitol that can also be poisonous to dogs. If you believe your pet has ingested a poisonous substance, call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control at 888-426-4435, immediately.
Curiosity killed the cat, especially during Halloween! Decorations around the house can be very entertaining or startling to pets. Use precaution when using candles in carved pumpkins. Surprised or jumpy pets may knock over a pumpkin, potentially causing a fire. LED lights are a great alternative!
The constant ringing of doorbells, opening of doors, and the sight of new people in weird costumes can be very stressful, traumatizing and frightening to your pet. Dogs are especially protective of their property and humans and may become territorial and anxious during this time. Finding a nice quiet place away from the front door may be best for your pet. For especially anxious pets, contact your veterinarian and ask about calming treats or medications.
For those pets that don't mind the commotion, make sure they are collared and tagged incase they slip out the front door!
If you bring your dog Trick-or-Treating, make sure they are visible as possible. Reflective bandanas, vests, or costumes make it easier to be seen in the dark.
Follow these tips to have a safe Halloween! Have fun! And don't forget to post photos of your pets in costume!